PDA

View Full Version : Banks in UK bailing on Dinar?

Ciderlion
03-02-2013, 11:22 AM
I was looking at off loading cash. My bank Natwest has pulled the plug on IQD within the last couple of weeks, removing it from their online currency exchange. Checked personally with my bank and they dont want too know. It went up too £505 per million which is garbage any way. Believe Barclays pulled the plug as well. Very difficult if not practically impossible for cash holders in UK theses days, too cadh in.

Will-it-happen?
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I was looking at off loading cash. My bank Natwest has pulled the plug on IQD within the last couple of weeks, removing it from their online currency exchange. Checked personally with my bank and they dont want too know. It went up too £505 per million which is garbage any way. Believe Barclays pulled the plug as well. Very difficult if not practically impossible for cash holders in UK theses days, too cadh in.

cant even post it to iraq cause it will get confiscated

Dinar Duchess
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I suppose we have no choice but to wait and hang in there and just hope things change when Iraq gets out of Chapter VII.

baz
03-03-2013, 07:35 PM

I did sell mine through Barclay's, a few calls to their currency centre and all done, Halifax where i bought them from got right shitty over it with me, no other bank would touch them, this was about 18 months ago. I would try Barclay's though just in case.

This seems to go against everything we hear about how well Iraq is doing, when no one will touch this up and coming countries money.

English Bob
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Done a quick serch

http://www.dinaruk.com/questions.php

Read the last question on the link

Good luck

EB

English Bob
03-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Try also

http://www.dinarindex.com/#/sell-dinars/4515543506

Member on this site!

EB

Will-it-happen?
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Emirates are doing flights to Iraq for about
£750 return from uk

baz
03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
£750 return from uk

I'll go...when do i get my £750?

English Bob
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM

In your body bag on the return trip!!!

only kidding Baz

EB

Phil S
03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I think Halifax stopped exchanging when they were taken over by LLoyds, I remember trying and they said it's not listed. As for the likes of Natwest and the others it may be because Travelex has stopped exchanging the NID.

Phil S
03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Has anyone exchanged NID through dinarindex.com so far?

usakidd
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
I remember an article I saw a couple years ago that said to: “Buy New Iraqi Dinars and Put Them in a Drawer.”
I guess the thought was to buy some, throw them in a dresser drawer, and forget about it until someday when the reval makes the news that it happened. That's what I did, and for the most part, I have forgotten about it, although when my bank account gets a little low at the end of the month, I start to think about it again.

I found a link to the article (http://ezinearticles.com/?Buy-New-Iraqi-Dinars-and-Put-Them-in-a-Drawer&id=4088557) I saw a few years ago.

Since then, there have been a lot a forum members that have come and gone....lol

Ciderlion
03-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Has anyone exchanged NID through dinarindex.com so far?

Not at those prices Phil.

Phil S
03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Not at those prices Phil.

I'm not surprised Ciderlion, £500 per million and I may consider it.

Oldtimer61
04-13-2013, 06:45 PM
£750 return from uk

The last time I was in Dubai I exchanged some dinar for durhams. And Dubai is an place to visit!!! IMO

Oldtimer61
04-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Wow that is expensive. I remember flights from Iraq to Dubai, Jordan were like 150 US just last year round trip. From Dubai and Jordan I recall it only being another 200 us. Heck from Iraq to the US it was only 700 US last year one way.

livingintheloop69
05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
im in the us so can't speak to the uk but most dealers are buying in. is dinaruk still around? will htey buy from you? otherwise try to sell to another member of this or other forums or on ebay

Ribozyme
05-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey, has anyone got any further in this? i want to unload my stash and always thought it was going to be easy as i could change it in a bank. Now after holding for years and years i want to get rid of it its become a problem, typical!!

Ciderlion
06-08-2013, 06:12 PM
No nothing has happened here. Just forgotten about hidden away, as usual until I remember too look in on this forum.

Ribozyme
06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
There must be a way to exchange dinars somwhere in the uk, airports? Or does anyone know where the closest or the cheapest county to fly to to exchange them? I have better options now for the cash that is tied up!!

Will-it-happen?
06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
There must be a way to exchange dinars somwhere in the uk, airports? Or does anyone know where the closest or the cheapest county to fly to to exchange them? I have better options now for the cash that is tied up!!

ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baz
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Have you tried Barclay's Bank? i sold a lot of mine through them, i did have an account with them and it was paid straight into this account, they also asked me where they came from, rather jokingly but meaning it, "Left over from working in Iraq" satisfied the checkout girl.

English Bob
06-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Have you tried Barclay's Bank? i sold a lot of mine through them, i did have an account with them and it was paid straight into this account, they also asked me where they came from, rather jokingly but meaning it, "Left over from working in Iraq"

satisfied the checkout girl.

Been awhile since I did that BAZ!!!!

EB

Dinar Index
06-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Barclay's do not trade them anymore. No banks or currency bureau's in the UK trade dinar...most currency exchange houses were trading them via Travelex but this all stopped in January this year.

Ribozyme
06-18-2013, 12:44 PM
ebay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a quick look on ebay, no one is really selling them. Is this because no one really buys them any more, or is it illegal?

There must be some way out apart from flying to a differnt county!!!

calstar
06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
:confused:

Ribozyme
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Which bit is confusing? I thought it is illegal to sell currency without a licence...and if i can not exchange in the UK, then flying to a different county might be an option....?

baz
06-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Which bit is confusing? I thought it is illegal to sell currency without a licence...and if i can not exchange in the UK, then flying to a different county might be an option....?

Called into Barclay's yesterday and it is correct they are not on the Barclay's currency list anymore, looks like i got in just in time then.

If no one is selling on eBay perhaps it might be a good time to try after all you can pull the plug if they dont make the price you want.

It cant be illegal to sell currency ( as in not a business) otherwise we couldn't get rid of various holiday money, probably only illegal if say England says no you cant deal with their money for such and such reasons.

livingintheloop69
07-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Most banks seem to be getting out of the currency business these days so I personally am not counting on banks in the case of a cashout

IRAQISTEVE1
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm just not counting on the cashout at all...

calstar
07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm just not counting on the cashout at all...

Count on the chocolates steve and the travelex girl. They are the best ones. lol ;)

RoyalBeluga
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Why would anyone want to cashout? Wouldn't it be much wiser to keep your dinars and exchange some as needed?