Thread: Iraq’s Remarkable Stock Exchange

Post Iraq’s Remarkable Stock Exchange

By John Lee.
    Arabian Business*has published a revealing interview with Iraqi Stock Exchange (ISX) chief Taha Abdulsalam al-Rubaye, outlining the incredible challenges the stock exchange has faced since its creation from the old “Baghdad stock exchange” under Iraq’s sanctions hit economy of the 1990s.
    Despite terrifying security challenges, the ISX success has been monumental, but al-Rubaye notes the difficulties that still remain in promoting economic diversification and cutting red tape in Iraq.
    Incredibly, the article reports how last year, “871 billion shares were traded on the exchange, with a total value of $2.371bn” and that according to market researchers FMG, the ISX has seen “the fastest earnings per share growth of any stock exchange anywhere in the world.”
    You can read the full piece here.
    (Source: Arabian Business)

Source: Iraq-BusinessNews.com.

Post your commentary below.

Supporter and Investor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Investors Iraq News View Post
    By John Lee.
    Arabian Business*has published a revealing interview with Iraqi Stock Exchange (ISX) chief Taha Abdulsalam al-Rubaye, outlining the incredible challenges the stock exchange has faced since its creation from the old “Baghdad stock exchange” under Iraq’s sanctions hit economy of the 1990s.
    Despite terrifying security challenges, the ISX success has been monumental, but al-Rubaye notes the difficulties that still remain in promoting economic diversification and cutting red tape in Iraq.
    Incredibly, the article reports how last year, “871 billion shares were traded on the exchange, with a total value of $2.371bn” and that according to market researchers FMG, the ISX has seen “the fastest earnings per share growth of any stock exchange anywhere in the world.”
    You can read the full piece here.
    (Source: Arabian Business)

Source: Iraq-BusinessNews.com.

Post your commentary below.
    According to this article the ISX are trying encourage Iraq banks to be custodian banks.

Supporter and Investor!
    Any info on Nasdaq connection with the Isx ?

Supporter and Investor!
    Quote Originally Posted by pirata View Post
    Any info on Nasdaq connection with the Isx ?
    not since June 2013

Supporter and Investor!
    As an ISX investor, I believe the FMG researchers are idiots. The shares I could never buy may rise, the shares I can't buy "paid ups" for may rise...see Mamoura Real Estate now...hold on to your butts foreign investors (using a broker that can't f'n trade), you're about to take a huge one in the shorts...it's a 20% reduction in your current share price because you're locked out of the game using your own money) With the delisted companies, and the Warka freeze on trading, I don't care what happens next...I'll write it off as "don't invest more than you can afford to lose". I'm calling FMG's bluff...and I think I know what FMG stands for. FUC* M* *GAIN.

"according to market researchers FMG, the ISX has seen “the fastest earnings per share growth of any stock exchange anywhere in the world.”