Supporter and Investor!

Militants Overrun Iraq's Second-Largest City As Government Forces Flee

Militants Overrun Iraq's Second-Largest City As Government Forces Flee

Mosul Strike Is Serious Blow to Baghdad's Efforts to Control Widening Insurgency

BAGHDAD—Al Qaeda-inspired militants seized control of Iraq's second-largest city on Tuesday in a brazen military operation that underscored the weakness of the Baghdad government across vast swaths of the country.
    Hours after government forces fled Mosul in disarray following four days of fighting, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki declared a nationwide "state of maximum preparedness" but didn't indicate whether government forces were mobilizing to retake the Iraqi city, 220 miles north of the capital Baghdad.
    There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the capture of Mosul, the scene of major fighting between al Qaeda and U.S. troops and Iraqi forces during the nearly nine-year American presence in the country.
    But videos point to rebels aligned with the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, or ISIS. They show victorious insurgents waving black flags emblazoned with an Islamic script, which that are brandished by al Qaeda militants world-wide.
    Residents of Mosul said they were shocked at the ease of the rebel takeover of government buildings, television stations and military installations where U.S.-supplied fighter airplanes, helicopters and other heavy weaponry are based.
    "The whole of Mosul collapsed today. We've fled our homes and neighborhoods, and we're looking for God's mercy," said Mahmoud Al Taie, a dentist. "We are waiting to die."

The seizure of Mosul is the latest evidence of the weakness and disorganization that have beset Iraq's security forces since the U.S. forces withdrew from the country in December 2011.
    If the involvement of ISIS is confirmed, it also would underline the group's determination to establish an Islamic emirate encompassing the Iraqi-Syrian frontier, weaken the already fragile Iraqi state and expand the theater of Syria's three-year-old civil war.
    "ISIS is designing its campaign around the state that it believes it has already created," said Jessica Lewis, a former U.S. military intelligence officer.
    "I think that means that Iraq is going to start to look more like Syria. It's a gauge of the severity of the conflict and the trajectory that it's on. That's a very bad sign," said Ms. Lewis, currently research director for the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, D.C.
    The U.S.-trained and equipped Iraqi security forces, which have floundered since the U.S. pullout, haven't succeeded in thwarting ISIS's emergence as a formidable military force. Its fighters regularly launch daytime attacks against government forces and have held the city of Fallujah, 36 miles east of the capital, since early January.
    Get a free first class world education here. http://www.khanacademy.org/

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - by Franklin, Benjamin.

Supporter and Investor!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - by Franklin, Benjamin.

the premise is laughable ... the casualties I weep

This could be squashed VERY quickly if allied forces would step in.

Supporter and Investor!

Why would we?

Quote Originally Posted by ISX Junkie using Aljazera View Post
    This could be squashed VERY quickly if allied forces would step in.
    I dont see the US, that ran from Iraq in retreat, would do anything. And the sand monkeys over there know it. If I had lost a loved one in Iraq as a result of the fratenization w terrorists by the post Bush scum in the WH I dont know how I would control myself today. This is 'The End' my friends.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    "Sumerian News", that "the real value of the coin is the value of goods received by the individual and on the strength of the national economy"

Not looking good

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleGenius View Post
    I dont see the US, that ran from Iraq in retreat, would do anything. And the sand monkeys over there know it. If I had lost a loved one in Iraq as a result of the fratenization w terrorists by the post Bush scum in the WH I dont know how I would control myself today. This is 'The End' my friends.
    Wish there was some glimmer of Hope but as the days and months pass by the situation only gets worse. I have become addicted to ISX and the idea of share prices rising to astronomical levels in a stable and prosperous Iraq. HaHa I know wishful thinking. I don't think I can ever get myself to sell any of it until either Baghdad falls, which so too will my investment, or until I have made a very nice return. Keep the Faith and F Obama.

Supporter and Investor!
    Quote Originally Posted by ISX Junkie using Aljazera View Post
    Wish there was some glimmer of Hope but as the days and months pass by the situation only gets worse. I have become addicted to ISX and the idea of share prices rising to astronomical levels in a stable and prosperous Iraq. HaHa I know wishful thinking. I don't think I can ever get myself to sell any of it until either Baghdad falls, which so too will my investment, or until I have made a very nice return. Keep the Faith and F Obama.
    That is actually occurring in the US stock market.

Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle View Post
    That is actually occurring in the US stock market.
    Yes it is! Maybe time to buy Apple after that split.

Supporter and Investor!
    On our English TV news last night this was reported and told of "Tens of thousands are leaving Mosul due to..etc etc", now this is the homeland of the Iraq people, work, schools, livelihoods, their birth land, so how many of the scumbags took over Mosul? to how many Iraqi men are leaving....Point I am trying to make is stand and fight for your country, rid the scum, once and for all.

I know it's never this easy as the words are to say..... But jeepers you Iraq people....Haven't you had enough of this yet?