Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The Fall of Mosul: Is it Time Washington Woke Up?

By John Cookson. Any opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Iraq Business News.
    Today’s audacious jihadist attack on Mosul by Al Qaeda affiliate ISIS must surely be a massive wake up call in Washington that Iraq needs urgent help.
    Hundreds of jihadists seized key government offices, banks and the airport in Iraq’s second city. Prison doors were smashed open and up to a 1,000 inmates released.
    In a damning indictment of Iraqi security forces, army and police officers abandoned their vehicles and uniforms and fled as ISIS forces went on the rampage.
    ISIS already effectively controls Al Anbar governorate including Fallujah where it declared an Islamist state. This week saw deadly bombings of Kurdish targets in Diyala. ISIS is increasingly active in Salah-al din. And now Ninevah’s capital is its latest target.
    Caretaker Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has called for an emergency session of parliament on Thursday and by then Iraqi security forces will surely have regained some control of Mosul, where ISIS fighters may just have overreached themselves.
    However the fact ISIS is so motivated, so well equipped and battle-hardened to even attempt to take Mosul is a huge blow not only to Baghdad, but also to the morale of Iraqi security forces and of course the long-suffering Iraqi people.
    In his fight to crush the islamists Mr Al-Maliki can count on little help from the neighbours. Syria is out of the picture and a UN embargo prevents Iran selling Iraq military equipment, at least on paper.
    Turkey will not want another failed state on its doorstep meaning its airspace will remain open, but Ankara will do nothing militarily unless the jihadists start to overrun Kurdistan.
    All nervous Kuwait and Saudi Arabia can do is try to seal their porous borders.
    Which leaves Al Maliki once again looking towards Washington for help in the present crisis.
    US special forces are already training Iraqi commandos in Jordan as part of a security pact. But what Al-Maliki urgently needs now is air power.
    Baghdad has bought F16s and Apache attack helicopters as part of US$14 billion’s worth of American military fire-power. But the full consignment is not due to be delivered to Iraq before the end of the year.
    Until now the Iraqis have been grumbling over American tardiness on delivery – perhaps the shock waves of today’s events in Mosul will resonate in Washington and Al Maliki will receive his war planes sooner rather than later.

Source: Iraq-BusinessNews.com.

Post your commentary below.

Supporter and Investor!
    This is the end, my friends.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GczoK62lsVY
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    "Sumerian News", that "the real value of the coin is the value of goods received by the individual and on the strength of the national economy"

Supporter and Investor!
    Foxnews now reporting the center of the city Kirkuk has been taken over by an Al Qaeda affiliated group.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    "Sumerian News", that "the real value of the coin is the value of goods received by the individual and on the strength of the national economy"

Supporter and Investor!
    I'm the eternal optimist, but I think if nothing drastic is done, this may be the end of this investment..
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Sir Winston Churchill

Supporter and Investor!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinar_dude View Post
    I'm the eternal optimist, but I think if nothing drastic is done, this may be the end of this investment..
    Wont be to long now before the "See I told you so, should have bought Gold and Silver" boys come back.

This Is the End, have to agree with HG.

Supporter and Investor!
    If your Shiite
    If your Sunni
    If your Kurd
    If your Christian
    If your Catholic
    If your an Infidel Investor

Your on the wrong side.

It's The State of Law: Maliki's Law.

You can't have a State of Law and practice sectarianism. It's an oxymoron.

The next tribe to take power will practice sectarianism, and the next, and the next, to infinity.

It's not Washington that needs to wake-up.
    "A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by
    association with smarter people." --Will Rogers

"We're all ignorant, just on Different Subjects." --Will Rogers

Supporter and Investor! Dinarpartyof6's Avatar
    the Swamp, where "only Gators come out alive,"
    After many years I have to agree that this could be it...

Fundamental failure of Iraq.
    GO GATORS!!!!!!

Supporter and Investor!
    Naw!!!! They are only taking over Mosul so they can do the RV!!!!!!
    Get a free first class world education here. http://www.khanacademy.org/

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - by Franklin, Benjamin.

Supporter and Investor! oldskiier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Naw!!!! They are only taking over Mosul so they can do the RV!!!!!!

Now That's Funny !!!!