Supporter and Investor!

Replacing Maliki No Panacea For Iraq

As the Obama administration is about to send military advisers to assist Iraq’s government there are growing reports that Washington wants Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to be replaced. The argument is that the premier is a divisive figure and that by getting rid of him the country’s politics can move forward, which will in turn help counter the insurgency. Finding a new prime minister could definitely improve the atmosphere in Baghdad in the short term, but it is no panacea for the deep structural problems facing Iraq.

continued

Supporter and Investor! investindinar's Avatar

al Malliki's days might be numbered...

Quote Originally Posted by JWing View Post
    As the Obama administration is about to send military advisers to assist Iraq’s government there are growing reports that Washington wants Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to be replaced. The argument is that the premier is a divisive figure and that by getting rid of him the country’s politics can move forward, which will in turn help counter the insurgency. Finding a new prime minister could definitely improve the atmosphere in Baghdad in the short term, but it is no panacea for the deep structural problems facing Iraq.

continued
    It looks like al Maliki's days be indeed be numbered.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ira...t-iraq-n136461

If a re-organization of the Prime Minister's office is under way, then the US (and Kurdistan) comes out ahead. The Shiites and Sunnis can re-unite under a new PM who will be committed to re-conciliation such Al Alawi.

I always thought the US would find a way to use a 'carrot and stick' approach in getting rid of Maliki. It looks like the '300' may turn out to be the point element of another bigger force consisting of more advisors, equipment, etc to assist the Kurds in the north and re-constituting the National Iraqi Army (my opinion). Both will work very well with US assistance as long as the new Iraqi Army has better leadership under (ahem) Sunni Generals.
    Last edited by investindinar; 06-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    What? Me worry?

Supporter and Investor!
    Quote Originally Posted by investindinar View Post
    It looks like al Maliki's days be indeed be numbered.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ira...t-iraq-n136461

If a re-organization of the Prime Minister's office is under way, then the US (and Kurdistan) comes out ahead. The Shiites and Sunnis can re-unite under a new PM who will be committed to re-conciliation such Al Alawi.

I always thought the US would find a way to use a 'carrot and stick' approach in getting rid of Maliki. It looks like the '300' may turn out to be the point element of another bigger force consisting of more advisors, equipment, etc to assist the Kurds in the north and re-constituting the National Iraqi Army (my opinion). Both will work very well with US assistance as long as the new Iraqi Army has better leadership under (ahem) Sunni Generals.
    and get us our money back !!!

Supporter and Investor! oldskiier's Avatar
    All LQQking Good !!! Hurry Up !!